Diet Change

Man changing a diet is hard. After a hard last weekend I made the decision to change my diet for good this time. Back in April when I was diagnosed, I chose to quit alcohol all together. At the time doctors did not tell me flat out to stop (now they do), but I still moved forward with my sobriety. What was the point of forcing my liver to work harder than it already is? It has been hard, but I was never a big drinker to begin with. Red meat however – red meat I love. Giving this up will be very difficult. I have to though. I need to slowly start dropping any type of food that is not going to help my fight.

It’s not steaks I will miss the most – it is the all mighty cheeseburger. I have said before if I was on death row and had one meal left of my choosing, it would be a cheeseburger. They are my most favourite thing. If anyone out there knows of a way to create this same taste without using red meat, I welcome the comments.

I have tried before many times to cut out red meat and have failed. From those failures I have learnt that I am unable to have “cheat days”. These do not exist in my world. One cheat day leads to two which then leads to all of my old habits back. Nope, this time it has to be all or nothing.

My next challenge is to slowly cut out white sugar. This unfortunately is in every single thing we eat it seems – but I will do whatever I have to do now to not have all of this pain be for nothing. What is the point of putting myself not just through one operation, but two, only to come out the other side still feeding my insides garbage.

By the way, I also welcome anyone who would like to cook for me. I am entering this blind – and have no patience in the kitchen.

Advertisements
Tagged , , , , , , , ,

13 thoughts on “Diet Change

1. Katie Richardson (Macmillan) says:

Hey Jamie,

I just started following your blog. I’m not sure if you remember me from highschool.
    Anyways I just wanted to let you know that I can’t eat red meat because I have IBS. My sister makes homemade pork burgers! They are amazing.
    You just add the same ingredients as you would to a beef burger. There are a bunch of ways you can make them. My sister mixes:
    Grounded Pork, yellow pepper and onion pureed, parsley, egg, bread crumbs, chicken stock seasoning..
    They are amazing!!
    I look forward to following your blog and wish all the best to you 🙂

2. Lisa says:

If you find someone to cook for you, send them my way afterward. I used to love to cook, but since the big C, I just haven’t been able to wrap my brain around it. I hope you’re able to find food that is both delicious and nourishing.

3. shjohnson82 says:

Hey Jamie

I wonder about ground chicken for burgers. I use ground chicken in spaghetti sause and it tasts just the same.

To make my homemade burgers I add a little garlic powder, a bit of sAlt and pepper, a tiny bit of curry powder( just a tiny bit) ketchup, onion, 1 egg, a splash of milk and I use oatmeal in lace of breadcrumbs to hold it all together. Ground pork would also work very well with these ingredients. If u want I can make u some patties and u can freeze them.

4. rvspeare says:

You need to come over to try the tofu tacos!! They’re delicious 🙂

5. Chrissy says:

I LOVE Harvey’s Veggie burgers-add some cheese and all your toppings, I don’t even know its not meat!

6. Oh, my last meal before admission to have a colectomy was a cheeseburger! Those weeks before surgery were my last meals before the unknown. These days I eat well, run, keep a good attitude and I am the brightest smile in the oncology waiting room. I’m hoping to keep the smile through the treatments. I say, radiation + chemo should make me a superhero! Good luck and my best wishes to you!

7. Maija says:

My love! I will cook for you noooo problem!!!! Gives me another quest for wellness which I love xo