Lose My Breath

Three lung surgeries in one year, that fact is a little tough to swallow – and breathe. When your bad lung is relying on your other lung for support, but that lung was just bothered a month ago, it’s a struggle. Thankfully I am through the thick of it now. My hospital stay this time was shorter than usual. In on a Tuesday and out on the Saturday. Other than the usual chest tube annoyances, it was a pretty regular hospital stay for me. What I was not expecting since I was feeling like a pro now when it came to lung surgeries, was just how different this one was. My first two were wedge resections, this one was a partial lobectomy. What is the difference? Well the simplest way to put it is that my first two tumours were on the surface of my lung. My surgeon just has to go in and cut it off the top. My last tumour was in the tissue of the lung, so this time he had to take an actual portion of it. So that on top of everything else, made it hard for me to even walk up the stairs. One day I was so winded when I got to the top, I sat down on the bed to catch my breath. I was so exhausted from just those few steps, that I did not want to have to deal with it all over again just to get back downstairs. So I just sat there. This was my life now. Would I rather starve on the couch or get up and deal with not being about to breathe? I’ll starve.

Advertisements

7 thoughts on “Lose My Breath

1. Gail says:

I liked what you wrote about so honestly. I hate that you are going through this.

2. Katie says:

You are such an inspiration. I stumbled upon your site while looking for cancer support blogs. I have read each post from the beginning and I’m so deeply moved by your words.

• Jamie says:

Thank you Katie šŸ™‚ That really means a lot. Are you recently diagnosed yourself?

• Katie says:

I am not – a close friend is. I am trying to help her find encouragement while also trying to even remotely understand what it’s like to go through something like this and how I can offer support as a friend.

• Jamie says:

Just seeking out information to help be a good friend is already being a better friend then you can even imagine. I wish your friend the best! With a person like you by their side I am confident they will stay strong! Xx

• Katie says:

I hope you are feeling better and able to breath with more ease. If you ever need a hand or support from Minnesota let me know :). I have never been to Canada but planning a trip in 2017 – it sounds like a lovely country from what I’ve heard.

Random question – are you still using Mistletoe with success?

• Jamie says:

Oh that is so sweet šŸ™‚ Canada is a beautiful country! You will love it!

We took a break from Mistletoe but I am starting up again next week for maintenance.